Your municipal taxes pay for services such as police, fire, ambulance, road maintenance, water, sewer, garbage and recycling services, parks and recreational facilities, social services, planning services, municipal administration and council costs.
ALBERTA EDUCATION PROPERTY TAX
The Town of Bashaw is responsible for collecting provincial education tax from town property owners on behalf of the provincial government. Alberta Learning relies on property taxes to support education throughout the province.
While the Town of Bashaw is required by legislation to collect school taxes and lodge authority taxes, the municipality has no jurisdiction over setting the tax rates.
2012 TAX CHARTS - REVENUES & EXPENSES BY CATEGORY
Did you Know?
Monthly Tax Payments
The Town of Bashaw offers all taxpayers the opportunity to make monthly payments for taxes if their tax account is paid up to date rather than making a single annual payment. Please contact the Town Office if you are unsure of your monthly payment amount or to clear up any tax arrears. To sign up for the Monthly Tax Payment Plan (MTPP) please Fill out the online form or download a PDF Version
The Town also offers a Tax Incentive Plan whereby residents can prepay their yearly taxes during the month of January based on prior years tax levy and receive a 1.5% tax incentive applied to their account.
eg. Prior years taxes = $1,200.00
Resident Pays $1,200.00 in the current year during the month of January
Town applies 1.5% of dollar value paid ($18.00) to tax account for pre-paying early
Total Tax Account Balance is now $1,218.00
- Your property tax bill covers the period from January 1 to December 31
- Assessment appeals must be submitted no later than July 31
- Even if you choose to appeal your assessment, you are still required to pay your taxes before the deadline to avoid being charged late payment penalties. If the Assessment Review Board alters your assessment, the Town will adjust your tax account.
- Property taxes are due July 31
- A 12% penalty is added to any unpaid balance on current years levy August 1 and total balance on January 1
- All charges on a tax account become the responsibility of the registered owner of the property.
- Tax bills are mailed to the address recorded at the Land Titles Office and it is the owner's responsibility to keep the Land Titles record accurate. Under the Municipal Government Act, once the notices have been mailed, the bill is considered to have been received within seven days.
- Non-receipt of your property tax notice does not exempt you from penalty due to late payment
- If you do not receive your tax notice by June 10, please contact the Town Office at (780) 372-3911 or email email@example.com
- If you are a participant of the MTPP, you are not required to have taxes paid in full by July 31 unless you so choose to pay in full
- If you are mailing your payment, please allow ample time for your payment to be postmarked by Canada Post on or before the due date
- If you are submitting payment by telephone or internet banking, please ensure to use your six digit "Roll Number" located in the top right hand corner of your tax bill when making payment
- If you are unable to make it into the Town Office during business hours, there is a Drop Box located on the front steps of the office for your convenience.